Saturday, June 14, 2014

36 Weeks: Hospital Visit

This last week was the week of all weeks for us!
So much has happened and is continuing to happen,
that my mind and body can hardly keep up.
It is a bit of a long story,
so be prepared :)

Last week starting on Monday,
I started to have this really weird pain in my lower back
right above my left hip.
The pain caused me to limp a little bit,
and it slowly started to get worse.
We weren't sure what it was at first,
and thought it was sciatica 
or some other really bad pinched nerve
that was caused from the weight of baby getting bigger.
So I had Matt rub it out and I used oils 
to help get some relief from the pain.
I used a heating pad and that felt amazing.

By Wednesday night I wasn't feeling any relief
and so I decided to take a nice warm bath
with oils and everything nice :)
It felt so good to get off my leg
and just sit in a warm bubble bath!
Once I got out, however,
I noticed that my left leg 
was about twice the size of my right leg!
I showed Matt and we were surprised and a little worried.
Pregnancy brings lots of swelling,
but that much and only in one leg??
It was odd.

The next day I told my midwives about the swelling,
and they suggested I go a chiropractor and get a belly band
to help re-align things and to get the weight of baby
off of my leg.
By this point my muscles on the inside of my left thigh
were really sore,
and my whole leg hurt from over compensating for the limp
and baby weight. 
Or so I thought.
So Friday morning I made an appointment at the chiropractor,
and it felt really good!
I felt aligned and the pain was relieved,
but not completely.
At this point, however,
I was just grateful for ANY relief.

Later that day,
Matt and I went to Ikea to shop for some cute things
for our little girls room.
Walking around was killing my leg,
but I was determined to not let it slow me down.
It felt like just a sore muscle and I could push past that!
That night I also went out shopping for my belly band
with some friends which meant more walking.
The belly band did help and felt AMAZING!
I love that thing :)
By the time I got home, my legs were shot
and of course swelling up,
but only in the left leg.
My entire leg.

Saturday was nothing big,
but the pain of my leg kept me from doing much.
I had a meltdown and couldn't take the pain much longer.
Why was it hurting so bad??
Why was it not getting better??
I took a bath,
used oils,
saw a chiropractor,
got the belly band,
and nothing was helping!

I couldn't even sit through church the next day.
My leg now throbbed while sitting down.
I was fed up.
I called my midwife and told her about my pain
and how it wasn't going away.
The swelling was constantly there and never fully went down,
but did get worse at night and better in the mornings.
She suggested I go to the ER.

I must say I HATE the ER!
I didn't want to go and so I debated going for a couple hours.
I couldn't shake the feeling that it could be something serious
and I could never forgive myself if it was.
It wasn't just my own life anymore,
I'm carrying my sweet baby girl
and I couldn't imagine anything bad happening to her.
So I got a blessing.
I needed the guidance to know what to do.
Matt and his friend Blake gave me the blessing,
and it was exactly what I needed!
I knew I needed to go to the ER.

I wanted to avoid the ER so bad,
and it was suggested to me from my family 
that I just go straight to Labor and Delivery.
I gave them a call and told me to come straight there.
They knew I was coming,
and it was a smooth process being able to see them
and not wait forever in the ER.


So I was put into a room and Matt and I thought,
"Here we go!".
We thought they would just do some tests,
we would wait around a while,
be given a drug for pain,
and then sent home.

If only that's how it happened!

The nurses came in and were so sweet.
We hardly had to wait very long
before they took some blood,
hooked baby up to a monitor,
and ordered for me to get an ultrasound on my leg.

The ultrasound tech came up to us and looked at my leg.
They are not supposed to tell you anything
until it's been reviewed.
But after he was done looking at my leg,
he got straight on the phone with someone
and we heard him use the words:
severe
immediately
huge
blood clot.
He then turned to us and said
it was pretty safe to say I have a blood clot
and need to be treated right away.

My stomach sank as I looked over to Matt
who was just as shocked.
As soon as the ultrasound tech left the room,
I lost it.
How could this be happening??
We were supposed to come in,
have nothing wrong,
and be sent home like usual. 

We waited for a little bit,
and then the doctor came in with the radiologist on the phone.
He explained that it was a "dandy" blood clot
and that it went from just above my knee
all the way to my pelvis.
Um, that's huge.
He gave me 4 options:
1. Have a procedure to have it removed that night
2. Just get rid of it by a blood thinner drip
3. Do a less invasive way of removing the clot, but would take longer.
4. Wait until after baby to treat the clot

At this point I was scared, but even more scared of leaving it.
They suggested I have the procedure that night,
and I agreed.
It would involve them inserting a catheter 
in the back of my left knee,
and going in with tools like "egg beaters"
to break up and remove the clot. 


I tried not to think about it too much,
and I didn't want to stress and have it affect baby.
But honestly, it freaked me out.
I have never had surgery before,
or had to stay a couple days in the hospital.
I was scared and a little nervous
to not have either sets of parents with us,
but we handled it the best we could.

So it was time for surgery.
They came in with a wheelchair and took me away.
They were very smooth about it and made the transition fast.
I hated leaving Matt there alone in the room,
it was all so unknown for us.

Once I got to the surgery room, 
they started to explain the procedure and what would be happening.
They handed me a form to sign as consent to this drug I would be getting.
They preceded it with,
"It hasn't been proven to be safe in pregnancy,
but it hasn't not been proven to be safe in pregnancy."
Comforting.
So I signed the paper anyways since I didn't want to feel the procedure.
They asked if I was nervous 
and of course I said yes.
Then they admitted that they were too
since they had only done this procedure twice before
on a pregnant mom.
Once again, comforting.

I tried to put my mind somewhere else as they hooked me up 
and pumped the drugs.
I was aware for the first part of it,
but felt loopy and didn't care much.
I could feel the vibrating tool going up and down the inside of my leg.
It was quite uncomfortable.
A couple times I couldn't stand it and asked for more drugs.
After a few more doses, I was knocked out.

Next thing I know, I'm waking up in a new room
where Matt and my midwives were waiting. 
I was so out of it and I remember trying to gain consciousness.
It was such a weird feeling!
However, I don't remember them moving me to the bed after surgery,
wheeling me down the hall,
or entering the room and waiving.
Apparently I was in surgery for about 2 hours,
and my poor husband had to sit and wait till I got out.
I can't imagine that pacing and waiting feeling.
He was such a trooper and was glad to see me :)
(And glad to see I still had my humor as I came off the meds!)

That night was rough.
It was a mix of pain meds to keep me comfortable,
sleeping on my side since I was pregnant,
having my legs hooked up to compression bands,
and then being monitored every hour.
I didn't sleep very well and was woken up for the day
by the nurses drawing some labs.
Let me tell you, sleeping on your side when your legs are bound to the bed,
is really hard and near to impossible to get comfortable.
This is what they looked like


So fun and comfortable! :)

But what an emotional roller coaster!
It was one thing after another
and meeting with so many different doctors 
about my options for delivery.
We had ultrasounds done on baby,
constant monitors,
I was poked about 5-6 different times for labs,
and on top of that I was contracting.
Apparently before and after the surgery
I was having consistent contractions every 2-3mins,
but luckily I had no idea and couldn't feel a thing.
They gave me a shot to stop the contractions
since my body was in no condition to deliver a baby!

As they kept monitoring my leg and baby,
we tried to relax and wrap our brains around what exactly was happening.
We did have fun watching tv,
our friends coming to say hi,
 and having yummy food delivered to us :)


No really, the food was good!

As we met with the doctors,
they informed me that I would now have to be on blood thinners
from now until I deliver my baby,
and then for up to 6 months after baby.
When I asked what this meant,
they explained that I would have to give myself a shot twice a day,
IN THE BELLY.
They said it is just like an insulin shot,
Where the needle is small and it wouldn't hurt too bad.
So the nurse came in and bless her heart,
gave me my first shot.
She was not gentle and did it super fast.
It was traumatizing!
It hurt WAY worse than any IV I had received.
I was scared and kept telling Matt I couldn't do it.
This would be the end of me.
I HATE NEEDLES!
So low and behold we stayed all day Tuesday
just so they could watch us both give the shots
to make sure we were capable.
So I went first.

Mentally, how can anyone give themselves a shot in their pregnant belly??
I was scared and it seemed wrong!
Luckily we had a new nurse helping us do it,
and she suggested I ice the area till it hurts
and then give myself the shot.
Brilliant.
After I iced it, I tried to give myself the shot.
I couldn't do it.
The nurse and Matt were very encouraging,
but I had a mental block where I couldn't get myself to put the needle inside my belly.
The nurse said it wouldnt be too bad and the next thing I know
she helped guide my hand and the needle was in!
I was shocked and almost reacted to where I pulled it back out!
But I didn't and injected the liquid.
That stuff burns.
Matt did a much better job I must admit :)
This is the needle and tool I have to use twice a day.


I have 60 of them!


So after they could see we were capable of doing the injections,
we were able to finally go home!
I was nervous to go home to be honest.
I knew recovery wouldn't be fun,
but I was excited to sleep in my own bed :)

Now that we are home,
recovery hasn't been too bad!
I have to wear these compression socks on both legs 24/7.
They are not too bad, but it is like wearing tights.
In the summertime it is not too fun I must admit.
But I better get used to wearing them until our girl gets here :)
Matt has been such an angel and doing everything for me
and helping me put the socks on.
The doctors want me up and moving around as much as I can,
but it is painful and I need assistance.
Luckily it is getting better.
However,
the bruises from the surgery are now starting to really show up,
and it's not a pretty sight since I am on blood thinners :(
It feels better than it looks though, I promise!
This is what it looked like the day after surgery.


And this is what it looked like yesterday.


Sorry it's a little gross.
But it feels better than it looks!

We have had such wonderful friends and family
bring us dinner and food.
We are so grateful for the love and support,
it was definitely appreciated :)

A huge shout out goes to my sweet husband Matt!
He has been such a trooper throughout this whole process.
He cleaned our entire apartment when we got home
and he caters to my every need. 
He willingly gives me my shots twice a day,
even though it is hard sometimes.
I don't know what I would have done
without his support and shoulder to lean on this week.
He is my rock and I love him so much :)


Here are some more random pictures
of our hospital visit.

the monitor baby was hooked up to

My "bunny" of an IV :)

Our big room that we lucked out to stay in

My dear sweet husband catching some sleep when he could

US!

Matt and his yummy cinnamon roll

The silly nurse blew my vein...it hurt!

We have a lot to think about and decide now,
of how and when we will have our baby.
Since I am now high risk,
I can no longer deliver in the birthing center I work at.
I'm devastated.
My two options now are:

1. Get induced between 39 and 40 weeks. 
This way I know when to stop my last shot
so it can be out of my system for the 12 hours needed 
for the epidural if I needed/wanted it.
So if I do get induced,
I could have an epidural and have a normal,
conscious c-section.
However, if my body isn't ready when I'm induced,
I could possibly go in at 1cm,
and have to be worked all the way to 10cm.
Say hello to the epidural.
Not ideal or the way I wanted it.
My plan was to have as natural of a birth as I could get.
Now this complicates things.


2. I could wait till my body is ready
somewhere between 40 and 41 weeks.
However,
if I wait until my body is ready,
I wont know when to take my last shot
to get the blood thinners out of my system.
So if it is in my system when I deliver,
I cannot have the option of an epidural,
and if I have a c-section I will have to be
completely knocked out.

So Matt and I have some thinking and deciding to do.
I feel like my life this past week has been put in a blender.
All of my plans for when I deliver have changed,
this adds a financial strain,
and I now have to get established with a new provider
at 36 weeks pregnant.
Not ideal I must say.
I'm nervous and not quite sure what to do,
but it will all come together.

If there is anything I know for sure throughout this whole process,
is that this wasn't my plan. 
None of this is what I would have wanted or chosen.
But if it isn't my plan,
then I have to trust that this is God's plan for me.
I just need to follow His plan,
and I'm confident everything will work out. 
So here I walk through faith in this process
and I'm learning many lessons along the way.

There are so many hidden tender mercies and blessing throughout this process,
that I know God loves us and takes care of us.
He will never just leave us stranded and say
"Good Luck".
He will always be there for us to rely on
if we just ask for help :)

So with all that said
and sharing my crazy week,
here is my 36 week picture :)
The ultrasound we had at the hospital
told us that our little girl has a head full of hair
and that she weighs 5 pounds 6oz.
Nice and healthy :)





4 comments:

  1. Man you guys! It made me tear up to read about your experience this week! Even though I knew everything you wrote about, you did such a good job portraying how you felt...it got to me!! We feel so blessed that everything is working out with your mixed up plans. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Brittany! What a roller coaster! I hope that everything goes well - we're rooting for you!!! You are such a trooper and I admire you even more after reading this story! Let me know if there's anything I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah that sounds terrifying! I hope you're doing good regardless of all that Brittany!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I can't imagine going through all of that. You are amazing! I hope everything continues to work out even with the change in plans. I'll definitely keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete